connecting from docker container to docker host

I have a setup where I run all parts of my website in docker containers. My nginx that listens on port 80 and 443 run in a container.

363292a98545        scivm/nginx-django-scivmcom:latest   /usr/bin/supervisord   12 days ago         Ghost               0.0.0.0:40001->22/tcp, 88.198.57.112:443->443/tcp, 88.198.57.112:80->80/tcp     lonely_feynmann           

I want to set up a proxy to a service in another container. This container is bound to port 3000 on the host:

b38c8ef72d0a        mazzolino/strider-dind:latest        wrapdocker /usr/bin/   41 minutes ago      Up 41 minutes       0.0.0.0:3000->3000/tcp, 22/tcp, 27017/tcp                                       distracted_einstein      

My iptables on the docker host look like this:

root@Ubuntu-1204-precise-64-minimal /var/run # iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT) target     prot opt source               destination         
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere             ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:ssh
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:http
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:https
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:8000
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere            

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination         
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere             ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination         

From within the container, I am unable to connect to port 3000 on the host machine due to the iptables configuration.

I don't want to open port 3000 to the public internet.

Is there a way to open a direct bridge between the container and the host on port 3000?

Or should I modify my iptables to accept from the docker ip range?

All you need is Docker's link capabilities [deprecated]

Just get rid of all the complicated stuff you tried to do and start using named containers and then link them to each other.

Elias's answer is correct, but the link is long and confusing. Here's a simple summary:

First, run the container to link to, and name it:

sudo docker run -d --name db training/postgres

Then run the other container, linking it to the first container:

sudo docker run -d -P --name web --link db:db training/webapp python app.py

The link from the first container to the second container is put into /etc/hosts. So you can use it like a hostname. For example:

sudo docker run --name web --link db:db training/webapp ping db